- 2 cups cake flour (plus more for dusting the pans)
- 2 ½ Tsp. baking powder
- ¼ Tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. matcha powder
- 1 ¼ sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 Tsp. vanilla beans
- ½ Tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup light coconut milk
- Coconut Buttercream Icing
- 1 ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 8 Tbsp. light coconut milk
- 2 Tsp. vanilla extract
Preparation (Vanilla Icing)
- With an electric mixer, whip butter until smooth.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar in small batches, alternating with coconut milk. Blend well between each addition.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- If the icing seems too thick, add more coconut milk. If it seems too thin, refrigerate it; it will thicken as it cools.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Grease two 9 inch cake pans. Place a circle of parchment paper on the bottom of the pan and grease the paper. Dust with flour and tap out the excess. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and matcha powder. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter. Gradually add the sugar and beat for 3-4 minutes.
- One at a time, beat in the eggs. Add vanilla beans and extract and stir to combine.
- With a spatula slowly fold in the flour mixture in small batches alternating with the coconut milk. Mix just until it is smooth.
- Split the batter between the two cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes. Test with a toothpick; if it comes out clean is is done.
- Let the cake cool in the pans for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire cooling rack.